Serengeti’s cool season is from June to early August and the early mornings and evenings can be cool to cold with sometimes a biting wind, but it rarely gets below 5°C/41°F.
After August it starts to warm up and until late October it is typically a dry heat and midday can be up to 28°C/82°F. The evenings cool off but are never cold.
Early morning game drives with open vehicle or open roof vehicle can bring into the vehicle cold wind, a warm sweater will to make yourself more comfortable
Please keep these items “bush colored” (try to avoid strong colors and blazing white) and we suggest taking the “layering approach” to prepare for warm days with cool mornings and evenings; and for possible showers and mud.
- Jacket: water-resistant and lightweight.
- Warm Sweater or Fleece Jacket (1-2)
- Shoes: 1 pair comfortable, or sturdy walking shoes; and 1 pair casual shoes for evenings in camp.
- Bathing sandals (flip flops etc.) are very useful for shower times.
- Socks: 3-5 pair.
Pack at least three complete changes of clothing(avoid blue and black colors if possible) to include:
- Trousers: 2- 3 pair (lightweight); 1-2 pair shorts (optional).
- Shirts: lightweight fabrics (cotton or breathable synthetics) and long sleeves are best as they are adjustable.
- Hat (the brim’s the key)
- Insect Repellent.
- Sun-block-factor 20 plus- the non-greasy type.
- Sunglasses and reading glasses if needed (bring a spare of each).
- Personal Toiletry items that you will need during your stay.
- Personal medical items and a Small First Aid kit: 1 kit per group.